May 2, 2010

Podcasting

Once again, a whole new world welcomed and secured into my memory bank.
Thus far, my knowledge/experience of podcasts has definitely been in a web 1.0 sense. For example, in undertaking my degree I utilised Lectopia the university’s iLecture system, greatly. It was fantastic and not to mention convenient that recorded lectures were available on the internet to refer to at anytime (either streamed or downloaded). I remember really content-heavy lectures where 1) concepts would go completely over my head and/or 2) I simply couldn’t keep up with my notetaking. Thus, having access to those ilectures was excellent in that I could re-sit the lesson and listen and watch it in my own pace. Of course, it was also extremely useful for those who had clashing classes, other commitments, etc.

But from a web 2.0 approach specifically in primary education, I can definitely see children being engaged and excited about creating their own podcasts. Not only will they be able to share their work with lots of other people by publishing it on the web, but it will also develop multiliteracies (e.g. writing, speaking, listening and ICT skills combined). I also like how risks are minimal since there’s no need for the children’s faces to be shown. I found the following video quite informative and it includes some great ideas for using podcasts in the classroom. I quite like her dubbed nickname of being a 'technology evangelist'!



To quote, 'the possibilities are endless'.

3 comments:

  1. As you mentioned, we can employ podcasting in our classromm in order to enhance the engagement of children. Then children will be more active in their learning by participating in the podcasting.

    And this video clip is useful for me to comprehend and make podcasting, which will help me assimilate to digital world. *^^*

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make a useful distinction between web 1.0 and web 2.0 uses of podcasting - it's certainly the latter which will be of most help to students in developing their multiliteracies.

    Nice video, too, by the way - I've added it to the references in next year's unit outline!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This video is a nice summary of podcasts and how you can use them in the classroom - great for speaking and listening skills, as well as constructing audio texts (which require a large amount of literacy skills, such as narrative, form, point of view, understanding of software program etc). I've always thought of podcasts as a great way to gain information, but never really thought about students creating their own, which offers so many more exciting possibilities!

    ReplyDelete